Oracle Database 12c New Features Tutorials
We are building an entire course on Oracle Database 12c New Features, but we couldn’t wait to introduce just a few now. (Be sure to set your resolution to “HD”. Transcript available in 88 languages.)
Check out John’s new Oracle Security Administration Class, updated for Oracle Database 12c!
This tutorial includes:
- Make limiting results and pagination through rows sets so much easier. Rather than using ROWNUM (and the associated problems), or a potentially poor performing subqueries, 12c implements a more sophisticated feature. This feature is implemented with the ROW LIMIT clause, FETCH FIRST n ROWS ONLY and variations.
- New online capabilities for moving tables, indexes and even data files will reduce downtime for any sort of report hugely.
- In earlier releases, numeric primary keys such as, for example a transaction number , where often handled by creating NUMBER column, a sequence, and a trigger to populate the column with unique, sequential numbers. Oracle 12c replaces all this with the “identity column” feature, manifested in the new clause “generated as identity”. Much easier.
- And our favorite, the multi-threaded database: a whole new process architecture, with the potential for spectacular performance and scalability improvements.
In this free webinar, Oracle Certified Master John Watson will demonstrate the old and the new techniques and sometimes, as he often does, reverse engineer the feature to show how Oracle actually implements it. Just for good measure John adds a few other useful insights.
All demonstrations on Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 18.104.22.168.0 – 64bit Production
Audience: Oracle DBAs and Developers eager to learn Oracle 12c.
Presenter: Oracle Certified Master John Watson
Learn Oracle Database 12c New Features. Be sure to set Youtube to HD.
- Introduction to Oracle Certified Master John Watson and Agenda (3:06) (click on video below)
- Oracle Database 12c Column Attributes – Identity Column, Invisible Columns (12:11)
- ROW LIMIT clause, OFFSET, FETCH FIRST n ROWS ONLY and Variations (5:49)
- Move Datafiles Online with Oracle Database 12c (9:26)
- Multi-Threaded Server Demonstration (5:16)
Date: Feb 28, 2013
NOTE: Some corporate firewalls will not allow videos hosted by YouTube.