Solaris Logical Domains Administration
Duration: 1 Day
If you are a student of an accredited academic institution call us for a 25% discount.
This intensive one-day course covers all the areas necessary to install and administrate the Oracle VM Server for SPARC software on CMT (Core Multi-Threaded) servers. It starts with server access configuration, followed by firmware issues, and then examines building the Solaris 10 OS and installing the latest Logical Domain Manager (LDOM) software.. This is followed by LDOM configuration of the Control and Service domains, and a variety of guest domains each running their own operating system. Further administration tasks such as changing domain resources are also covered.
Logical Domains Introduction
- LDOM topics covered on this course.
- LDoms positioning and uses.
- LDoms supported operating systems.
- LDoms example scenarios.
- Logging in.
- Serial line connection. Erasing firmware password. Setting a password.
- Network access.
- Display network settings.
- Setting a static network address.
- Network access via ssh.
- System console (ok prompt).
- Returning to ALOM.
- System poweron.
Installing Solaris and the Logical Domain Manager (LDM) software
- How to install the Solaris software on the server with considerations for LDOM hosting.
- Downloading the LDM software.
- Preparing to install LDM software.
- Locating firmware patches Installing a firmware update Installing patches.
Installing LDOM software
- Logical domain types.
- Creating virtual services in the control domain.
Control Domain Configuration
- Listing resources.
- VPCUs and memory.
- Configuration storage.
- Control Domain network configuration.
- The Virtual Network Terminal Server Daemon (vntsd)
- Do I need separate Service and I/O domains?
- Creating a Guest Domain.
- Listing resources.
- Disk space allocation for a Guest Domain.
- Using ZFS disk space for a Guest Domain.
- Using ZFS emulated volumes for virtual disk.
- Creating the Guest Domain and assigning resources.
Guest domain OS installs and storage options.
- Installing a Guest Domain using an ISO image.
- Installing a Guest Domain with network boot.
- Building the OS in a Guest Domain.
- Guest Domain Golden Image for rapid deployment.
Alternatives for domain backend disk storage
- Using a UFS file as a Virtual Disk.
- Using an iSCSI target as a Virtual Disk.
- Using a physical disk or slice as a Virtual Disk.
- Assigning extra storage to existing zones.
- Exporting storage multiple times.
Network Configuration Options
- Virtual device and interface naming.
- MAC Addresses allocation - automatically or manually?
- Configuring IPMP.
- VLAN support.
- Link aggregations.
Guest Domain configuration with XML files.
Guest Domains running Solaris 8 and 9
- Solaris 8 zone example with installation.
Listing Domain Information - more examples
Reconfiguration of Guest Domain Resources
- Changing the numbers of virtual CPUs and MAUs in a domain.
- Changing the amount of memory in a domain.
- Immediate and delayed reconfiguration issues.
- Migrating guest domains to other systems
Upgrading the Logical Domain Manager SoftwareDomain Configuration Storage and backup Issues.