Oracle VM Server for SPARC (Solaris 10 Logical Domains) Administration
Duration: 1 Day
If you are a student of an accredited academic institution call us for a 25% discount.
1 Day Onsite or 7-Hour Online Hands-On Training
Learn by doing. After Mick demonstrates a technique or procedure, you will practice it in workshop.
This intensive one-day course covers all the areas necessary to install and administrate the Oracle VM Server for SPARC software on CMT (Core Multi-Threaded) servers. It starts with server access configuration, followed by firmware issues, and then examines building the Solaris 10 OS and installing the latest Logical Domain Manager (LDOM) software.. This is followed by LDOM configuration of the Control and Service domains, and a variety of guest domains each running their own operating system. Further administration tasks such as changing domain resources are also covered.
Check out Mick’s latest training on Solaris, Oracle VM Server and ZFS, FREE.
- LDOM topics covered on this course.
- LDoms positioning and uses.
- LDoms supported operating systems.
- LDoms example scenarios.
- Logging in.
- Serial line connection. Erasing firmware password. Setting a password.
- Network access.
- Display network settings.
- Setting a static network address.
- Network access via ssh.
- System console (ok prompt).
- Returning to ALOM.
- System poweron.
- How to install the Solaris software on the server with considerations for LDOM hosting.
- Downloading the LDM software.
- Preparing to install LDM software.
- Locating firmware patches Installing a firmware update Installing patches.
- Logical domain types.
- Creating virtual services in the control domain.
- Listing resources.
- VPCUs and memory.
- Configuration storage.
- Control Domain network configuration.
- The Virtual Network Terminal Server Daemon (vntsd)
- Do I need separate Service and I/O domains?
- Creating a Guest Domain.
- Listing resources.
- Disk space allocation for a Guest Domain.
- Using ZFS disk space for a Guest Domain.
- Using ZFS emulated volumes for virtual disk.
- Creating the Guest Domain and assigning resources.
- Installing a Guest Domain using an ISO image.
- Installing a Guest Domain with network boot.
- Building the OS in a Guest Domain.
- Guest Domain Golden Image for rapid deployment.
- Using a UFS file as a Virtual Disk.
- Using an iSCSI target as a Virtual Disk.
- Using a physical disk or slice as a Virtual Disk.
- Assigning extra storage to existing zones.
- Exporting storage multiple times.
- Virtual device and interface naming.
- MAC Addresses allocation - automatically or manually?
- Configuring IPMP.
- VLAN support.
- Link aggregations.
- Solaris 8 zone example with installation.
- Changing the numbers of virtual CPUs and MAUs in a domain.
- Changing the amount of memory in a domain.
- Immediate and delayed reconfiguration issues.
- Migrating guest domains to other systems