Fast Track to Java 8 and OO Development provides a comprehensive introduction to Java suitable for programmers with existing programming experience. It can be taught to audiences with less experience by reducing coverage of the optional, more advanced topics.
Java is one of the most important programming languages used today, and its correct usage is a critical part of many systems being written now. The basics of the language are relatively easy, but the challenge lies in learning how to use it well. This is especially true regarding the Object-Oriented nature of Java, which for many developers is a new way of approaching system design and construction.
In addition to teaching you everything you need to become productive in basic Java programming, this course draws on our extensive experience to provide a solid understanding of the core OO and Java concepts and practices needed to create well designed Java programs. It covers all the key OO capabilities and how to use them in Java, including material on creating well designed Java classes, using encapsulation, building more complex functionality with composition, and using inheritance to share functionality and create specialized types. It also covers more advanced concepts such as using interfaces, working with the Java Collections Framework, and overviews of accessing databases with JDBC and JPA (including labs using JPA).
This course is suitable for environments using Java 8, but almost all the labs can also be done with Java 7. The material and labs include coverage of useful new Java capabilities such as default/static methods in interfaces, try-with-resources (Java 7), and lambda expressions. It also stresses the use of good coding practices for all the examples and labs. This course is available for most IDEs, such as Eclipse and IBM RAD
Be prepared to work hard and learn a great deal! The course can be held on-site & customized to fit your needs.
All labs are done using the Eclipse Development Environment, and the lab instructions include detailed directions on using Eclipse and the Eclipse wizards and tools.
Labs: Minimum 50% hands-on labs
Supported Platforms: Java 8, Eclipse, IBM RAD (Requires Java 8 support), Other IDEs upon request
- Understand Java’s importance, uses, strengths and weaknesses
- Understand Java language basics
- Write, compile, and run Java programs
- Understand the Object Model and Object Oriented Programming
- Understand and use classes, inheritance, polymorphism
- Create well designed classes and use them in your Java programs
- Use composition and delegation to create objects from other objects
- Understand & use packages to organize code
- Understand interfaces, their importance, and their uses
- Use interfaces to implement abstraction
- Learn good Java coding style
- Create well structured Java programs
- Compile and execute programs with the JDK development tools and with an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) of your choice
- Use the core Java libraries (java.lang, java.util)
- Understand & use exceptions for error handling
- Understand the basics of using JDBC and JPA, and use them to access databases from Java
- Use the Java Collections Framework
- Be aware of, and use the new features of Java 8, as well as important advanced features of earlier Java versions
- Understand and use basic I/O streams (Optional)